Friday, February 19, 2010

Thoreau Against "Thechnology"

I thought that the class discussion about Thoreau this week was very intersting. I would never be able to do what he did. I could never imagine spending months in a one bedroom house. It would be especially hard to do these days because I honestly feel that I can't be without my cell phone for even a couple hours. I feel that Violet, in the novel Feed, and Thoreau are somewhat alike. Both Violet and Thoreau wanted to seperate themselves from technology. To Thoreau, he thought that the post office during his time was technology, this is something he wanted to be without. Violet tried to not use her feed as much as others around her did. I feel that both Violet and Thoreau were couragous for trying to do so.

5 comments:

  1. I love your connection between Violet and Thoreau. I think this has a great deal of validity! They both make deliberate choices to turn off the "Feed" and both, I think as a result, view the world differently than their peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Violet and Thoreau are very simular when it comes to technology. Violet tries to seperate herself but she is very suddle about it. On the other hand Thoreau completely blocks himself from any sort of technology. They both have the same ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, that Violet and Thoreau were both trying to make a stand against technology. I also agree with nicole I dont think I would be able to spend a year in a one room house without technology. Without communication and knowing the news would make me feel cut off from the world and I dont think I would be able to take that for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree that it would be so hard to spend a year by yourself in a one bedroom house. it would get so boring and lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you connected thoreau and violet! its intersting how the two connect and one is an actual human being and the other is a fictional character from a book who has a micro ship in her head! Goodjob

    ReplyDelete